Account Login/Registration

Access KelownaNow using your Facebook account, or by entering your information below.




Privacy Policy

Everything you need to know about the new short-term rental bylaws in Kelowna

It's time! Everyone's favourite subject — bylaws. The City of Kelowna has introduced new short-term rental bylaws that will have a significant impact on the future of the city.

While they might be a little tedious to go through, it’s imperative to know and understand everything about the new short-term rental bylaws beginning April 23, 2019 with some leeway until July 1, 2019.

We know you’re giddy with anticipation, so let’s jump right into it.

What is a short-term rental?

First of all, short-term rentals are any unit or room that’s rented for 29 days or less. Kelowna has various zones throughout the city, so be sure to know what zone your property is in. Check the zoning bylaws to clarify if you’re even allowed to have a short-term rental.

For many residential or mixed-use commercial zones, the short-term rental has to be in your principal residence. This is somewhere that you live at least eight months of the year. For select commercial and tourist areas, your rental can be a non-principal residence.

The City of Kelowna is implementing these short-term rental bylaws in the hopes that it will have an impact on the housing market, various neighbourhoods and the accommodation industry.

“There is definitely a need for both long-term and vacation rentals in Kelowna. Clearly, City Council sees this and is working hard to find balance,” said Aaron Piva, Owner of Real Property Management Executives. “From a professional property management perspective, we firmly believe in licensing, regulating and monitoring both long-term and short-term rentals.”

Are you eligible?

Let the fun continue! It’s time to discuss the various documents and steps that you will need to complete. There are a few different requirements to keep in mind while you go through the process of getting your business license.

If you’re renting a property, you will need written approval from your landlord to start a short-term rental. But note that short-term rentals aren’t allowed in secondary suites or carriage houses.

Guess what? You will also have to check out your strata bylaws, if applicable. More bylaws to read — you’re welcome! For your short-term renters, having parking that follows your zoning and strata bylaws is also mandatory.

Finally, you must renew your business license to continue operating a short-term rental every year. The application fee for your license will be $345 for a short-term rental operating out of a principal residence and $750 from a non-principal residence.

Forms to fill out

There are a decent amount of forms and plans to make to comply with these new short-term rental bylaws. Here are the beautiful forms that you will need to complete.

First, you must submit the short-term rental business application form, pay the application fee to the City of Kelowna, then provide proof of ownership or fill out the Owner Consent Form.

Hold on, there’s more. You must also submit a Strata Consent Form, if necessary, a Good Neighbour Agreement Form, a Fire and Safety Attestation Form and provide proof of principal resident status, if necessary.

There must also be a submission of a parking plan that meets the requirements of your zone’s bylaws for short-term rentals. You must also have an evacuation plan that includes where the smoke alarms, carbon monoxide alarms, fire extinguishers, fire exits and bedrooms are located on the property.

How you can tackle these changes

It’s important to note that failing to comply to these changes can cost you $500 per day, per offence. Be sure to check out the City of Kelowna’s summary of the various eligibility requirements, forms, fire and safety plan requirements by clicking here to avoid being fined with non-compliance.

Now, this may sound like a lot of work, but hiring a property management company can give you peace of mind and reduce your stress.

Real Property Management Executives offers a short-term rental compliance package where they take care of everything so you don't have to. This includes filling out all the applications and forms on your behalf, providing emergency escape and parking plans, safety guides for your guests and more.

This will ensure your short-term vacation property complies to all of the recent bylaw changes and give you the peace of mind that you won’t be fined for non-compliance.

Short-term rental operators can begin applying for their business license on Tuesday, April 23, 2019. You will have until July 1, 2019 to get your business license, afterwards you can be fined for non-compliance. For more information or any inquiries, contact Real Property Management Executives here.

Real Property Management Executives is North America's largest residential property management company. Real Property Management helps property owners protect their investments and maximize their returns through tried-and-true processes.

NowMedia sponsored content is written and posted in partnership with participating businesses. While NowMedia retains editorial control of sponsored content, the content is created in collaboration with the sponsor.

Send your news tips, letter to the editor, photos and videos to
Connect with us.
Report a typo...send an email to








Top Stories

Our Latest Video

Upcoming Featured Events

Follow Us

Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook Follow us on Linkedin Follow us on Youtube Listen on Soundcloud Follow Our RSS

Quick Links