- Food & Drink
- Travel & Lifestyle
- Arts & Culture
- News & City Info
- Shop Local
BC health minister Adrian Dix has called out a series of private parties in Kelowna following news of a COVID-19 outbreak in the city.
Last week, Interior Health identified eight new cases as a result of Canada Day parties held in rented rooms at two resorts along the city’s waterfront.
“When people come together for private parties, largely people in their 20s and 30s, their risks tend to be higher,” said Dix during a news conference.
“They’re in enclosed spaces with people from all walks of life, that may not even know each other… these type of private parties that may involve alcohol make it very difficult to physically distance.”
Dix drew a comparison to holding a private party in a 900 square foot apartment, which he said no more than four people could safely attend.
When asked whether its the responsibility of resorts to prevent private parties, Dix placed the onus on individuals to be responsible for the safety of themselves and others.
“These parties occurred in rented hotels, but they are parties taking place in people's homes all the time,” explained Dix.
“You have an obligation and a responsibility to be conscious of the risk to yourself, parents, grandparents and others.”
Health officials are advising anyone who attended private parties at Boyce Gyro Beach Lodge on July 1 or Discovery Bay Resort from July 1 to 5 to self-isolate due to the potential exposure.
Contact tracing in the area has also revealed that Cactus Club and Pace Spin Studio were also visited by infected individuals.
Support local journalism by clicking here to make a one-time contribution or by subscribing for a small monthly fee. We appreciate your consideration and any contribution you can provide.