- Food & Drink
- Travel & Lifestyle
- Arts & Culture
- News & City Info
- Support Local
The Okanagan’s deadliest COVID-19 outbreak yet has finally been declared over.
It’s been six weeks since the outbreak at McKinney Place long-term care home in Oliver was declared on Dec. 6.
During that time, 55 out of 60 residents living at the home tested positive for the virus, along with 23 staff members.
Of those 55 residents, 17 of them died.
“I want to thank our staff for their commitment and dedication during this challenging outbreak at McKinney Place long-term care,” said Susan Brown, Interior Health president and CEO.
“Everyone stepped up to ensure the people living at McKinney Place received the best possible care, and on behalf of everyone at Interior Health, we send our condolences to the families who lost a loved one during this difficult time.”
A pause on visits was implemented immediately once the outbreak was declared, but it didn’t help as the virus ripped through McKinney Place.
IH has finally declared the deadly outbreak over as two incubation periods, or 28 days, have passed from the last onset of symptoms in a resident.
“This has been one of our most challenging outbreaks so far and I’m happy to see this outbreak declared over,” said Dr. Albert de Villiers, IH's chief medical health officer.
“As the vaccination roll-out continues across Interior Health, I am hopeful we will see fewer outbreaks in our long-term care facilities.”
According to IH, all eligible residents and staff at McKinney Place have been offered their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine.
Support local journalism by clicking here to make a one-time contribution or by subscribing for a small monthly fee. We appreciate your consideration and any contribution you can provide.