- Food & Drink
- Travel & Lifestyle
- Arts & Culture
- News & City Info
(UPDATE: Aug. 12 @ 1:45 pm) - Foundry Kelowna has reopened the doors at its Kirschner Road office.
It had been closed since a small kitchen fire caused smoke damage to the entire centre on July 10.
The youth mental health hub had been operating out of Central School on Richter Street since July 17.
"The team at Okanagan Restoration has been committed to getting us back into our offices on Kirschner Road as quickly as possible," said Shelagh Turner, executive director of CMHA Kelowna.
"We are extremely grateful to them, to the Central Okanagan School District for opening up the school for us and to the community as a whole that has come forward and stepped in to help us navigate this situation."
While regular programs and services have now resumed at Foundry Kelowna, the kitchen and youth long, where the fire originated, will remain closed while renovations are completed.
(UPDATE: 1:45 p.m.) - A small kitchen fire at Foundry Kelowna on Tuesday night sparked after a stove element was accidentally left on, which ignited a nearby toaster.
Cleaning staff discovered the fire shortly after 8 p.m. and immediately called 911.
The fire was quickly extinguished and contained to just the kitchen, but it'll still cause the closure of Foundry Kelowna for around four weeks.
Staff are already working to find alternate locations for services and anyone working out of the Foundry Kelowna building has been temporarily relocated.
Anyone with existing appointments will be contacted and given information as to where their next appointment will be.
No one was injured in Tuesday night's fire.
(UPDATE: 8:45 a.m.) - KelownaNow has received a news tip that Tuesday night's kitchen fire occurred at Foundry Kelowna.
According to the organization's Facebook page, the building is closed today.
(Original story: 6:30 a.m.) - The Kelowna Fire Department were quickly on the scene of a kitchen fire at a Kelowna business on Tuesday night.
Crews responded to the 911 call at 8:05pm, arriving to find smoke and flames in the kitchen of the commercial building in the 1800 block of Kirschner Road.
While the fire extended into the kitchen cabinets, the KFD was able to keep it from moving into the rest of the building.
The small blaze was quickly extinguished and crews vented out the single story building.
A media release from the KFD did not specify which business or restaurant the fire happened at, but did confirm there were no injuries.
Five engines, one rescue truck, one safety unit and one command unit responded to the call with 22 firefighters involved.
According to the KFD, the cause of the fire appears to be the stove being left on with an appliance on top of it.