Account Login/Registration

Access KelownaNow using your Facebook account, or by entering your information below.




Privacy Policy

Firefighters save two cats from burning house

A pair of felines were fortunate survivors during an unfortunate situation Tuesday morning when their residence went up in flames.

Kelowna Fire Dispatch received a 911 call at approximately 10:52 a.m. regarding a kitchen fire in the 400 block of Dougal Road South.

Upon arrival, the first unit on scene reported smoke and flames were splayed from the second story of the single-family dwelling.

Initial vehicle response included three engines, one rescue vehicle, one safety vehicle and one command vehicle accompanied by RCMP, BC Ambulance, Fortis and Emergency Support Services (ESS).

<who>Photo Credit: KelownaNow</who>

After entering the building fire crews found the catalyst of the fire, a pot of grease on the stove, which had set the kitchen cabinets inside the building on fire.

The fire was quickly subdued and a primary search of the house ensued to discover all remaining occupants had vacated the structure — with the exception of two cats.

Firefighters did successfully rescue the two cats from the fire.

<who>Photo Credit: KelownaNow</who>

Fire crews check the house for an extension of the fire and found the fire was limited to the Kitchen Cabinets and smoke to the second floor but did not extend into the attic.

ESS were notified that the fire has displaced one adult, one teenage female and their two cats as they would not be able to stay in the residence due to the damages.

KFD is reminding the public to check smoke detectors in your home as "working smoke detectors save lives!"

Send your news tips, letter to the editor, photos and videos to
Connect with us.
Report a typo...send an email to








Top Stories

Our Latest Video

Upcoming Featured Events

Follow Us

Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook Follow us on Linkedin Follow us on Youtube Listen on Soundcloud Follow Our RSS