- Food & Drink
- Travel & Lifestyle
- Arts & Culture
- News & City Info
(UPDATE: Nov. 6 @ 10 am) - The exact cause of the frightening camper van fire at the Super Save Gas station on Hwy 33 last night remains a mystery.
A Super Save employee was filling the propane tank when something ignited the propane.
The big question is "what was the source of ignition?"
The procedure for filling this kind of tank requires that all ignition sources inside the van be turned off prior to filling, including pilot lights etc..
Fire investigators will try to determine of all of the proper procedures were being followed.
Damage to the gas station was surprisingly minor, but the intensity of the fire is illustrated by the glass front of the propane pump which melted before fire crews were able to bring the fire under control.
The camper van was destroyed by the fire and its remains have been towed away for further investigation.
(UPDATE: Nov. 5 @ 6 pm) - Crews from Kelowna Fire Department have extinguished a dangerous camper van blaze.
Just after 4:30 pm on Tuesday, several motorists called 911 to report the van engulfed in flames at the Super Save Gas station along Highway 33 in Rutland.
The highway was shut down in both directions as fire crews knocked down fire that began while the van was filling up with propane.
According to the Kelowna Fire Department, crews saw flames entending over the roof of the gas station upon arriving on the scene.
Three Engines, a Command Unit, Rescue truck with 15 fire personnel attended the fire along with RCMP and Emergency Support Services.
The cause of the fire is not deemed suspicious.
(Original Story: Nov. 5 @ 5 pm) - A dangerous situation unfolded at the Super Save Gas station along Highway 33 in Rutland on Tuesday evening.
Kelowna resident Brianna Wolsleger was driving along the highway when she witnessed a vehicle engulfed in flames at one of the station's pumps.
"I was driving up Highway 33 and was going to turn into the Super Save, I saw a van closest to the pump by the road and it was engulfed in flames," explained Brianna Wolsleger to KelownaNow.
"The pump was still left in the van and as far as I could tell, no one was in the van or near the pumps. In fact, from what I saw there was no emergency crew there yet. The flames were the height of the van itself."
Facebook users on the Kelowna Alert group are reporting the blaze has been extinguished.
It is unknown if any injuries were sustained during the incident.
KelownaNow will update this story as more information becomes available.