Account Login/Registration

Access KelownaNow using your Facebook account, or by entering your information below.




Privacy Policy

Tom Petty's death due to accidental drug overdose

The music world is shaken once again as the healing wound of Tom Petty’s sudden passing has been reopened.

<who>Photo Credit: Tom Petty Facebook Page</who>

On Friday afternoon, it was announced that Tom Petty’s passing was due to an accidental drug overdose. The legendary musician passed away in early October of 2017, after suffering from cardiac arrest.

<who>Photo credit: Tom Petty facebook</who>

Widow, Dana Petty, and eldest daughter, Adria Petty, shared the Coroner's final report on the Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Facebook page, stating his shocking death was triggered by an accidental medical drug overdose.

The 66 year-old singer was using prescribed medications to treat a number of ailments including emphysema, knee problems and a fractured hip, which worsened during his final performances.

Due to his illnesses and injuries, Petty was on a number of medications including Fentanyl patches, which his family stated was “an unfortunate accident."

<who>Photo credit: Tom Petty Facebook</who>

Though devastating and unfortunate, Petty’s family hopes that this news will spark further conversation about the opioid crisis, and that his story may hopefully save lives.

Send your news tips, letter to the editor, photos and videos to
Connect with us.
Report a typo...send an email to