Penticton and area residents hoping to engage in traditional fall campfire activity will have to wait a while longer.
Although the province-wide fire ban has been lifted, Penticton Fire Chief Larry Watkinson has indicated it’s still too soon to lift the open fire ban in this community.
“While last week saw some precipitation, overall ground and forest conditions remain dry and unpredictable in and around Penticton,” said Watkinson, in a news release issued by the City of Penticton Tuesday. "As such, a local open fire ban remains in place for Penticton.”
Anyone found in violation of an open fire ban, including campfires or backyard fires, may be fined.
Anyone who causes a wildfire through arson or recklessness may also be fined up to $1 million, spend up to three years in prison and be held accountable for associated firefighting costs, said the news release.
The City of Penticton thanks the public in advance for its co-operation in complying with the ban.
For further information please contact Chris Forster, Deputy Fire Chief, at 250-490-2310.