Account Login/Registration

Access KelownaNow using your Facebook account, or by entering your information below.




Privacy Policy

UPDATE: Distraught man dies after engaging in standoff with police

(UPDATE: May 24 @ 2 pm) - The Independent Investigations Office of British Columbia is on their way to Chilliwack following the death of man during a police situation.

According to the IIO BC, shortly before 5:30 pm on Saturday, officers were called to check the wellbeing of an emotionally distraught man in possession of a firearm at a residence in the 46000 block of Christina Drive.

Upon arrival, the man allegedly shot at police before retreating into the house. At this point, no one was injured, but an immediate call to the Lower Mainland Emergency Response Team and RCMP Crisis Negotiator was put in. As a precaution, residents close to the home were evacuated.

Later, an interaction between the man and police resulted in shots being fired by the officers. The man exited the home during this interaction, but quickly went back inside.

After this instance, a robot was deployed by police to safely conduct a search of the home. The man was found unresponsive inside and later pronounced dead.

The IIO is now investigating to determine whether police actions or inactions are linked to the man's death. No more information will be released at this time.

(Original Story: May 24 @ 10 am) - Residents in Chilliwack were dealing with a very scary situation on Saturday that could have ended much worse.

According to RCMP, a "very high risk" situation took place in the 46000 block of Christina Drive. Area residents were asked to stay inside their homes for close to 10 hours as police dealt with a distraught man.

When police first arrived on the scene at 8:45 pm, the man fired shots at officers.

The fluid situation called for a heavy police presence, which included the Emergency Response Team, members of Chilliwack RCMP, Crisis Negotiators, and Air One.

By 7 am, the situation concluded. Those in the area are once again safely able to leave their homes.

Police have not yet provided an update on the man or if he is facing charges.

We are asking for your support of local journalism. If you like what we do and believe it has value that adds to our community, we would appreciate your consideration. Please click here to learn more about how you can support local journalism.

Visit our Facebook page to comment on this story.

Sign up for local eNews delivered to your inbox by 7 am every day.

Send your comments, news tips, letter to the editor, photos and videos to

To report a typo, send an email to







Top Stories

Follow Us

Follow us on Instagram Follow us on Twitter Like us on Facebook Follow us on Linkedin Follow us on Youtube Listen on Soundcloud Follow Our RSS