- Food & Drink
- Travel & Lifestyle
- Arts & Culture
- News & City Info
- Support Local
A man has been charged with sexually assaulting a seven-year-old child in Prince George.
Police in the city said they were told on June 3 that a girl had been approached by an unknown man near Norwood Street and Porter Avenue.
He is said to have then sexually assaulted her.
The girl later told her parents what happened, police said.
As part of the police investigation, video surveillance footage was obtained from the neighbourhood.
On June 4, a 30-year-old man from Alberta was arrested.
Prosecutors have now approved the following charges against him:
Invitation to sexual touching
“These types of incidents are particularly concerning to police and we dedicate considerable effort and resources to solving them,” said Supt. Shaun Wright, who is in charge of the detachment.
“Fortunately, in this case we were able to quickly identify the unknown suspect and make an arrest.”
The man appeared in court on June 10 but has since been released.
He must reside outside of Prince George pending his next court date, police explained.
Anyone with information about this case is asked to call the Prince George RCMP at (250) 561-3300.
Support local journalism by clicking here to make a one-time contribution or by subscribing for a small monthly fee. We appreciate your consideration and any contribution you can provide.