- Real Estate Listings
- Good News
Charges have been laid against three firefighters who are accused of attacking a homeless man earlier this year.
A 49-year-old Trail man was seriously injured in the incident, which happened as he was taking his garbage out to the dumpster in an alley around 9 am on April 23.
According to police, the man was allegedly punched in the head several times, may have lost consciousness and suffered a serious shoulder injury.
On Thursday, Nov. 30, 53-year-old Gregory Ferraby, 48-year-old Richard Morris and 43-year-old Wesley Parsons were all charged with assault causing bodily harm.
All three men are members of the Kootenay Boundary Regional Fire Rescue, although they were off-duty at the time of the incident.
Fire Chief Dan Derby was quick to denounce their alleged actions when reached by NowMedia today.
“Public safety is at the heart of everything we do. We are saddened and disturbed by these charges and the allegations,” he said, noting that the department does not condone this type of conduct on- or off-duty.
“The firefighters are absent from the workplace at this time. I can confirm the three men will not be responding to calls at this time.”
Derby added that the Regional District of Kootenay Boundary is taking these allegations “very seriously” and is conducting an internal investigation into the matter.
He said the RDKB is “committed to due process,” but can’t comment any further due to privacy law.
Sgt. Mike Wicentowich of the Trail and Greater District RCMP said the three men are all due to make their first court appearance in Rossland Provincial Court on Dec. 7.
He also provided NowMedia with an update on the victim of the April attack, saying he has since found housing and recovered from his injuries.